Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Alpaca Fingerless Gloves

I've had these gloves done for more than a week but have not taken a picture until today. These are the second pair I've knit (and I'm working on a third) from the Judy Wise pattern my SP7 pal gave me. You can't tell from the photo but these are the most luscious gloves knit in baby alpaca. The yarn feels almost as soft as cashmere. Alpaca is supposed to be warmer than wool, so I thought it would be a good choice...I made this pair for me to wear when I am out photographing so that my hands can keep warm but I can still use my fingers. What I did not figure on is that the knitting around the fingers is bulky so it still feels a little clumsy. I am now rethinking this and might try knitting another pair in a pattern that does not have fingers (basically like a mitten with the end of the thumb and fingers cut off). Initially I dismissed all of these patterns becasue I didn't think they would keep a person as warm as the ones with fingers. I still think that, but I also think the fingers might get in the way and defeat the purpose. I still like these though and will try them out next time I have opportunity. Oh, the yarn is Misti Alpaca, worsted weight. It was on the thin side of worsted in my opinion.

1 comment:

Lou Schiela said...

What beautiful gloves. I'm supposed to be making some for my daughters and one of their friends. My dilemma is whether or not to knit the fingers. I'd be very interested to hear how your gloves work when you wear them outside.