Sunday, January 14, 2007

Tribute to Richard Stephen Johnson, Sr

Today at 4:15, Uncle Dick went Home. He went peacefully and pain free. He was surrounded by his dear daughter, pictured here, her husband and children and an elder from their church and he went hopeful and expectant and without fear, to meet the Savior he so loved. This was not unexpected, but nonetheless difficult for those of us left behind. Please pray for Jack (my stepdad) and Kris, his sister as they help my cousin Fawnda deal with all that needs to be done. Please remember my Mom and Grandma Doris as they are at home on the other side of the state. I'd like to share a few things of my memories of Uncle Dick.

Uncle Dick is my Uncle by marriage, but I have known him half my life. He is Uncle Dick. When I first met him, he just accepted me, no questions asked. There was always a hug for me whenever we met!

Uncle Dick is generous and giving. As a matter of fact, right up until his hospitalization, I understand he was helping a lady get back on her feet after some tough times. When we visited him this summer he wanted to give something to the kids from what he had and he asked his son-in-law to help us get a discounted hotel room at the upscale hotel he works at.

I remember his gravelly voice and hearing him say to Jack "Hey bro!" They had a bond that has lasted 60+ years and through many crises and joys of life.

He was a direct descendant of Stephen Brewster, the elder of the Mayflower pilgrims. (Grandma, his Mom, is a Brewster) and his middle name is from his Grandpa, Stephen Brewster, who is named after the original. He looked more like Colonel Sanders than a Pilgrim and I have heard more than one relative tease him about his 'fu manchu' beard! LOL

He survived Polio as a child and had many surgeries on his legs. He was left with life long pain. I never heard him complain about his condition.

He slept in his chair with the TV on at night, but would wake up and listen to Gospel singers and Bible teaching on his favorite channel.

He made some poor choices in his life, but he made good ones too and the most important one he made was to give it all to Jesus. He valued his salvation and loved his Savior!

He loved animals and had the biggest green thumb you have ever seen! The plants he grew are amazing.

He loved children. He has some awesome grandkids who will be left with an empty spot that noone else will ever be able to fill. He delighted in their smiles, their accomplishments and their very existence.

He never gave up. He didn't give up on people. He didn't give up on God. And he didn't give up on life...he just lost the earthly battle, but as far as eternity goes...Uncle Dick is a winner!

Thank you everyone who prayed and continues to pray. We appreciate you so much.

3 comments:

Molly said...

Theresa, I am so sorry for your loss but I am happy your uncle knows our Lord. How happy he must be now :) You and your family will be in my prayers, Molly

Carissa said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your Uncle Dick, but I am rejoicing with you that he has gone ahead to meet our Savior.

Lynette said...

I am sorry for your loss.

Missed you yesterday at church.