Friday, January 12, 2007

Comic Relief

Well, there is nothing like small children to keep you grounded in the midst of crisis. Today I was getting my spinning wheel ready to take with me to Rock Day tomorrow and naturally all three children were interested. The girls lined chairs up next to mine and sat, as still as 3.5 year olds sit still and watched.

D watched on the other side and said, "I wish I could do that Mommy."

I said, "You will when you get older, Mommy will teach you."

He said, "When I get to be a hundred?"

I said, "Not that old!"

Then he says, "You mean 19, like you Mommy?" "

Yes!" and then I couldn't hold it in any longer. I laughed, guffawed, as I treadled away on my 40th birthday present.

"What's the matter Mommy?"

"Nothing, Mommy isn't 19, she's 40."

His response startled me and took away any of the warm and loving glow that might have momentarily lasted while my son thought I was 19! "HOW did THAT happen!?!" he asked me quite emphatically.

Snort! Gasp! "It just happens honey. One day you'll be 40 too."

His response, "You're kidding me right?"



A little while later he says, "Daddy read us the Bible last night and it said there were so many stars that we couldn't even count them."

Me: Yes honey, that's right

D: And you can't count the children too. Except for these children. There are only three.

I take it that Daddy ready something about God's promise to Abraham that his descendants/children would be as numerous as the stars and could not even be counted. But you can in our house...there's only 3!

Children are a good reminder, that in the middle of grief and pain and suffering, LIFE continues on!

2 comments:

Lynette said...

What a discovery for D, we do get older.
Conversation with kids are the best!

Carissa said...

That sounds like my house!