Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Wellness Wednesday

Well, today started out good at least. I stepped on the scale to find out I had lost a pound - 309#. However, the progression of the day was not very fun.

This afternoon I saw the orthopedic surgeon. The diagnosis of torn meniscus has been confirmed. He gave me the choice of #1 surgery, #2 cortisone injection and physical therapy, #3 physical therapy or #4 choose 2 or 3 and then add #1 later. I chose #3 and hobbled out the door with an xray request, a cane and a knee immobilizer! Sigh...

The day would have been better if the lady at Whole Foods whom I apologized to for my children's behavior running around her, hadn't said, "That's okay, I have three grandchildren too!"

I do NOT have an AARP card. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'm just establishing the fact that - I. Am. Not. Eligible. Period!

After being told that I should not be walking at all except to go to the bathroom and to and from the car for THREE MONTHS, I think I went into a small state of shock. This evening I feel like I woke up from a dream only to find out it wasn't a dream. :o( So I had my little pity party and now I am trying to work on not feeling so bad about it. It's not very encouraging to be told that a torn meniscus never heals in a person "your age" and that the only thing to do is alleviate the pain either through PT or surgery, but even with that, it would still remain injured and become arthritis. According to the surgeon, I may never regain full use of my knee, especially if I do not lose weight.

He also said I cannot go shopping. So that's why I had my last hurrah, stocking up on some things I needed from Whole Foods that might be difficult to send Hubby for (since I needed to make decisions and see some things to compare).

I cannot even begin to express my disappointment in not being able to exercise (I'm only allowed to swim, which is not an option right now.)! My body is really craving it. And I refuse to go backwards in this journey for Wholeness and especially physical health.

So, this weekend, Hubby and I are going to regroup. We will figure out how I can do many kitchen tasks at the table sitting down with help from Hubby or D. We will probably work together to make some meals to put in the freezer. And I will go forward on Sunday for annointing and prayer. The mission of the Christian and Missionary Alliance is: "We desire to know Jesus Christ as Savior, Sanctifier, Healer, and Coming King and to complete His Great Commission. " I do believe that He heals. Sometimes we see it on earth. Sometimes it comes in Heaven. But I refuse to sit down and give up!

Please, if you have any ideas for me to keep getting healthy while mostly immobile, would you please let me know. Also could you pray for me that after I adjust to this yucky news, that my heart will allign with His and that my attitude will reflect His love?

Hmmm... would spinning constitute exercise?

Last but not least, please pray for Wool Windings (a regular commenter here) and all the others in the path of Hurricane Ike.

No comments: