Sunday, September 14, 2008

Songs On Sunday and Belated Faith on Friday

Last night I was reading Virginia Queen Bee's blog last night and enjoying her music. One song on her play list was the Vineyard version of I Surrender All, which I also have in my CD collection. This song has long been a favorite and has been a theme along the way for my journey of faith. Surrender is not always a one time event. As I grow in Christ and encounter struggles along the way, I find that He is asking me to surrender another piece here and another piece there. It's not that it is easy, but I look at it this way - He is the Creator of all the Universe and He made me to be me... likely He knows best, right? I find it to be one of the ironies of the Christian walk, that the more you give over yourself, the more you, you become. Currently, I am walking in frustration, or more appropriately, hobbling along. Last night He gently tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Surrender." This morning in church, the adventure continued. (see below)


I Surrender All



by J.W. Van Deventer


1. All to Jesus I surrender;
all to him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust him,
in his presence daily live.


Refrain:
I surrender all, I surrender all,
all to thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.



2. All to Jesus I surrender;
humbly at his feet I bow,
worldly pleasures all forsaken;
take me, Jesus, take me now.


(Refrain)

3. All to Jesus I surrender;
make me, Savior, wholly thine;
fill me with thy love and power;
truly know that thou art mine.


(Refrain)


4. All to Jesus I surrender;
Lord, I give myself to thee;
fill me with thy love and power;
let thy blessing fall on me.



(Refrain)



5. All to Jesus I surrender;
now I feel the sacred flame.
O the joy of full salvation!
Glory, glory, to his name!





Hydrangeas are one of my favorite flowers. When I have land of my own, I have to plant several in different areas to see all the different colors.

These bushes were at my friend Jeanene's house. I'll be posting more about our visit soon. She is a good friend from my pediatric nursing days.

Today during the service, I went forward to one of our elders and his wife, to ask for anointing and prayer for healing. As he and his wife prayed, peace swept over me. The worship team seemed louder than usual and drowned out some of the specific words of the prayers, but I think God wanted me to hear these words from another old favorite:
Trust And Obey
John H. Sammis, 1846-1919
1. When we walk with the Lord
in the light of his word,
what a glory he sheds on our way!
While we do his good will,
he abides with us still,
and with all who will trust and obey.

Refrain:
Trust and obey, for there's no other way
to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

2. Not a burden we bear,
not a sorrow we share,
but our toil he doth richly repay;
not a grief or a loss,
not a frown or a cross,
but is blest if we trust and obey.

(Refrain)

3. But we never can prove
the delights of his love
until all on the altar we lay;
for the favor he shows,
for the joy he bestows,
are for them who will trust and obey.

(Refrain)

4. Then in fellowship sweet
we will sit at his feet,
or we'll walk by his side in the way;
what he says we will do,
where he sends we will go;
never fear, only trust and obey.

(Refrain)

Trust is a continual issue for me, given some of my early experiences, but He has been gently leading and teaching me to the point that I do trust Him. I need nudges once in awhile to remember how Trustworthy He is and that I don't need to hold on so tight, but don't we all?

Pastor Mike began a new sermon series this week on the life of Abraham. There will be several small groups on Sundays and in the week to study him further.

Tuesday I will join other ladies at our church for a study led by one of our Pastor's wives. Ever since I heard her speak at a lady's "Mug and Muffin" last year where there was a panel of mature women in the Lord sharing their experiences as wives, mothers and Believers, I have longed to sit at her feet in a Titus 2:4 learning situation. I am looking forward to this and connecting with other ladies. Shhh... don't tell anyone that I will be walking! I'll be good though with my immobilizer and cane!

For me, the key reminder from the sermon today was that faith in God does not mean that we do not have questions. But it does mean that we obey Him and trust Him to answer those questions as we need them. I have walked with the Lord for more than thirty years now, sometimes more faithfully than others, but He has NEVER been unfaithful to me. I do not expect that to happen now.

We all need faith boosts along the way. Often mine comes through music, but I also appreciate the fellowship of other Believers. I know many people say that we do not have to go to church or that their church is in the mountains or on the beach. And there is some truth to both of those statements. However, we are instructed not to forsake fellowshipping with other Believers. That does not say, "Thou shalt go to church." But it is important for us to fellowship with other Believers for encouragement, to encourage, for learning, teaching and simply for the reason that one of the main ways that God can reach out to love us is through His other children. Today it was nice to be back in fellowship, to sing His praises, to worship with my Husband and to see the joy and delight on my children's faces as I watched through the window of kids' church.

Tonight, I feel more encouraged and uplifted. I feel fresh strength to face the next leg of the journey. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!

Last but not least, Thank You to everyone who has been writing me and encouraging me through your comments and emails! I feel privileged to call you friends! :o)

No comments: