Friday, November 02, 2007

What Happened To Its Head? or A Child's Perspective on Where Your Food Comes From

I had a good laugh with the kids today. The other night I had gotten two organic roasting chickens at Costco. Three pairs of eyes watched with great interest as I prepared them to roast.

"They look like piggies!" said J.

"Ooh! Is your hand in their bottom? That's gross!" said D.

"Where's the rest of their legs?" asked A.

"Why did you chop the head off Mom?" asked D.

"Where's the tail Mom?" wondered D.

"I don't like chicken Mommy," stated J.

I could hardly contain my giggles. I had to explain that it would be much nicer for the chicken and for us if we ate it when it was dead. This was said to the cries of "Oh! Poor chicken!" by all three. LOL I explained that all of our food comes from something living, either plant or animal and that it originally came from a farm.

I further explained that the cheeseburgers they love to eat come from cows. D, in boy-like fashion says, "Oh, no wonder I like cows so much. You mean they take a cow and squish him up and make a cheeseburger?"

Further questions were centered around how I knew my chicken was a "she" and not a "he", so we talked about hens and roosters.

I think it's time for a trip to the farm.

This all fit in with Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life, an interesting book I am currently reading about one family's experience returning to the original way of eating, i.e. eating what grew and was produced on your own land, your own neighborhood etc. I will probably share some thoughts from this on Wellness Wednesday.

One last children's chuckle. Wednesday we ate at Ruby Tuesday because we've never been there before and a new one was recently built. The girls had cheeseburgers and they came with two mini burgers on their plate. J said, "Look Mommy! They're twins!" LOL

Now, I'm off to bed. I'm exhausted. We just put laminate flooring in the kids' room tonight and tomorrow is painting day. The kids are "camping" on the living room floor. They think it's really cool!

4 comments:

BJ said...

What a fun moment! Too cute.

Melissa said...

I like that...twins! How cute ;o)

Deborah said...

Forget the farm visit. Come visit me! We're butchering chickens presently, lol.

Charlotte said...

Hey Theresa, I have four
miniature hens that live in our garage! We love to try and grow things to eat...that sounds like a good book!