Sunday, October 05, 2008

Songs On Sunday

"Disclaimer" - I realize that a lot of my posts have been "heavy" lately and for those of you who have known this primarily as a "knitting blog" you are probably wondering if I still knit! Yes I do, I just haven't had energy to block my lace, photograph finished objects and post. That will be coming soon. I am in a season of my life where God is asking me deep questions, causing me to think through things that I thought I had already figured out and sorting through the clutter in my emotional and mental attic! I understand if you are not interested in reading. I enjoy my interactions with other women in the blogosphere, but I also write to help my own growing progress. I hope that makes sense. My posts won't always be so heavy, but life isn't sweetness and fluff all the time!

Today was Communion Sunday. Our church chooses to celebrate this the first Sunday of each month as did my church in Washington. For me this is nice - not so often that it becomes rote and not so seldom that we forget. Ironically in our sermon series on Abraham, this Sunday covered Melchizedek, the High Priest of God, meeting with Abram after the recapture of Lot and the return of the spoils of Sodom. Melchizedek brought bread and wine - the food of kings at the time, but also the ingredients for performing a Covenant.

Sadly, in this day and age and in western culture, we do not understand the idea of a covenant. Thus we so easily break them - marriages, commitments to God, promises to those we love. In ancient times the breaking of a covenant meant death. Today it's an every day occurence. Sad.




My Mom took this picture at Laurel Church, the church I attended through most of my 20s and my early 30s. At the foot of this cross (behind us), Hubby and I made a Covenant. As you can see 9+ years later, we have fulfilled our promise to be fruitful and multiply! :o) L to R, J, D and A. I wanted a picture here because our tenth wedding anniversary is coming up.

As we made our eternal Covenant with God, we took Communion together for the first time. Today, it was so odd, when the tray came to me I wanted to serve my Husband. That's not what we normally do, it's not something I thought out but something that I felt compelled to do at the moment. I chickened out when the wafers came, but did pass him the grape juice. I'm not sure what this meant and I'm still digesting it. But one thing I know, that I NEVER get tired of taking communion with my husband.

This is one of those things I did not think of when I was single and dreaming of marriage - you think of physical intimacy, someone to go to the movies with, snuggle with etc. Don't get me wrong, those things are nice, but I praise God every day for the man who prays with me, takes communion with me, teaches my children about God and loves me even if I don't deserve it! Let me tell you ladies, I lived in an unequally yoked home, a single parent home, I was single long enough and in enough BAD relationships to appreciate what I have. And young ladies, waiting for God's choice for you, PLEASE WAIT! What He has planned for you is better than you can ever imagine. No relationship is perfect, but when God is the Head of your household, He does amazing work in your lives! And if your heart is broken from the pain of a sad or unhealthy relationship, God is the place to go for comfort and healing! I know!



One of the joys of having children has been seeing my Mom, Ruth, and my step Dad, Jack interact with them... not only as loving Grandparents but as torchbearers to the next generation! This picture was taken while Hubby and I were on our "honeymoon" and the kids went to church alone with Grandma and Grandpa. J is in my Mom's lap and A on Grandpa Jack's lap and naturally D is in between.

As for Songs On Sunday, we sang beautiful Hymns today - both old and contemporary - How Great Is Our God, My Jesus I Love Thee, The Wonderful Cross, Untitled Hymn (Come To Jesus) and In Christ Alone. The woman who sang Untitled Hymn as a solo during Communion was so LOVELY. By the time she was done, the tears were streaming down my face. I relate to so many of the words and then through my grief journey I cling to the end "fly to Jesus" and it gives me HOPE.
This is A getting ready for church at Grandma's. She is wearing for the first time a dress I made her. It started out as a top from a vintage pattern that was too short for modesty. I didn't have enough to make a dress so I found some coordinating green and had just enough of the main print to put a band at the bottom of the front only... oh well, at least she has a unique, one of a kind outfit! :o) She loves it!
Here J contemplates the butterflies on her new jumper that I made her. (All photos today taken by my Mom Ruth)
In Christ Alone
Words and Music by Keith Getty & Stuart Townsend
Copyright © 2001 Kingsway Thankyou Music
In Christ alone my hope is found;
He is my light, my strength, my song;
This cornerstone, this solid ground,
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My comforter, my all in all—
Here in the love of Christ I stand.
In Christ alone,
Who took on flesh,
Fullness of God in helpless babe!
This gift of love and righteousness,
Scorned by the ones He came to save.
Till on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied;
For ev'ry sin on Him was laid—
Here in the death of Christ I live.
There in the ground His body lay,
Light of the world by darkness slain;
Then bursting forth in glorious day,
Up from the grave
He rose again!
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.
No guilt in life, no fear in death—
This is the pow'r of Christ in me;
From life's first cry to final breath,
Jesus commands my destiny.
No pow'r of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand;
Till He returns or calls me home—
Here in the pow'r of Christ I'll stand.



Grandpa and his kids! J, A and D with Grandpa Jack.



A and J watching brother and the big kids practice their musical performance. The kids really clicked quickly with the kids at Laurel and had a blast with teacher R!

Untitled Hymn by Chris Rice


Weak and wounded sinner

Lost and left to die

O, raise your head, for love is passing by

Come to Jesus

Come to Jesus

Come to Jesus and live!

Now your burden's lifted

And carried far away

And precious blood has washed away the stain, so

Sing to Jesus

Sing to Jesus

Sing to Jesus and live!

And like a newborn baby

Don't be afraid to crawl

And remember when you walk

Sometimes we fall...so

Fall on Jesus

Fall on Jesus

Fall on Jesus and live!

Sometimes the way is lonely

And steep and filled with pain

So if your sky is dark and pours the rain, then

Cry to Jesus

Cry to Jesus

Cry to Jesus and live!

O, and when the love spills over

And music fills the night

And when you can't contain your joy inside, then

Dance for Jesus

Dance for Jesus

Dance for Jesus and live!

And with your final heartbeat

Kiss the world goodbye

Then go in peace, and laugh on Glory's side, and

Fly to Jesus

Fly to Jesus

Fly to Jesus and live!


No comments: