Saturday, August 06, 2005

Shetland Garden Faroese Shawl

Here is a picture of the Shetland Garden Faroese shawl that I am knitting. It is designed by Sivia Harding in British Columbia. http://members.shaw.ca/siviaharding/index.html Her website has some beautiful patterns on it. If you look under kits and follow the links to lace knitting you will find a picture of the finished shawl there.

I began the shawl on Monday August 1, 2005. I am playing "beat the clock" as I want to give this to my cousin Nancy who has Stage 4 Ovarian Cancer. She is a living miracle and one of the most beautiful people I have ever known. Not only is she beautiful on the outside and a stylish dresser, but she is a wonderful Godly woman who sparkles on the inside. Unless we are given a miracle, we may soon be watching Nancy slip into the next stage of the journey of life. My desire is to finish this so that she can wear it for a little while, to be of some comfort. It is light weight but will be warm. And then I desire it to be passed on to her daughter so that she can be wrapped in love, that it may be a comfort to her when she needs one of her Mother's hugs. If you are so inclined, please pray for this family.

I am pleased so far with how it is turning out and of course it will look better when it is blocked and then you will be able to see the trees, flowers and fern motifs. The lace patterns are Shetland in origin and the shaping over the shoulders so that the shawl won't fall off, but fit more like a garment, is Faroese in origin. I think I wrote before that I am using a wonderful Zephyr Wool/Silk in light lavender that was a gift from my Secret Pal on the Ample Knitting list. It has been really nice to work with. I have been able to use my Addi turbo needles without any difficulty. I thought they might be too slick. My bamboo needles in that size were already being used on the lace smoke ring, which is looking really nice too.

It's getting to be what we call "stupid hot" again. That's heat over 102*. DH is going to a River Cats baseball game tonight and I am glad I am not going to sit in the sweltering heat! I'm supposed to be doing more work and organizing around the house but really don't feel too motivated when it is this yucky. This coming week

No comments: