Sunday, June 11, 2006


This is Goat Rock at Goat Rock Beach in the Sonoma Beach State Park. It was mostly foggy with a few breaks of sun like this. But when you see the foggy pictures below, it really was not cold and very little wind. The surf is amazing to watch here. There are rip tides and currents that make the waves pop up out of nowhere. It's fascinating and very different than anything I've seen anywhere else on the Pacific Coast (and I have seen a lot of the Pacific Coast beaches!). It makes it very dangerous too and there is a lifeguard watching all the time because people think they can swim here. As I wrote earlier in the week, June 10th would have been my Grandma's 100th birthday. I wanted to do something special, not sit around and feel sad about it...that is something Grandma never would have approved of! So Tim and I packed up the kids and we started out fairly early, having breakfast at McDonalds (D discovered he loves pancakes and J discovered she loves sausage patties! A ate the eggs!) Then we drove about 2.5 hours to Bodega Bay and a little bit further north to Goat Rock Beach. I like to go here because it has a good patch of rocks for beachcoming and sand for walking and playing and it is somewhat protected. We really had a fun day and I think Grandma would have definitely approved. Today in church was an added littled treasure that God sent me...the bulletin covers were a picture of flowers which had the verse, "Worship the Lord in the Beauty of Holiness." This verse was special to Grandma because it was written in the stain glassed window of the old Methodist Church in Everett, which has since burned down. That is the church where she met Grandpa and also where they married. It was her second favorite verse, the first being Isaiah 53.5, "By His stripes I am healed." This was her comfort after Grandpa's early death. She knew she could face anything because Jesus had taken the "stripes" for her and that because of them she could walk in strength. That is the spiritual strength she handed on to us. So, it rounded the weekend out nicely to have that special verse greet me this morning. Posted by Picasa

No comments: