Sunday, September 23, 2007

FOs, Colds and Other Knitting Activities

Well, I have been busy doing what I call "mindless knitting". I love the Spiral Rib Hat from Ann Norling. The pattern is great because it's basic, easy, comes in ALL sizes, for all weights yarn and it looks just a little nicer than a regular stocking cap. Of course you can't really see here because I had to take the photo in doors and the silk in the scarf wants to have all the camera's attention and it focuses there. It is the same colorway of Chasing Rainbow's Dyeworks, Hydrangea, but in a homespun wool instead of wool/silk. I made it long enough to pull down over my ears, cheeks and part of my neck because too much wind on those areas when I am at the beach can sometimes trigger one of my spinal migraines.

Speaking of which, thank you to anyone who read and prayed for me. This spinal migraine is finally gone! That is the good news. The bad news is that I woke up really sick on Friday morning. I wanted to try the Zicam, but didn't want to pay $10 for some medicine that may not stay *in* my nose which was runny like crazy. So I decided to buy generic lozenges for $3 containing the same active ingredient, 13.3 mg Zinc Gluconate Glycine. This has been a nasty sinus virus and I always am concerned that it will hit my lungs, but these lozenges work! It doesn't make your cold go away but this is the third day (that's all you take) of them and my symptoms are beginning to subside and act more like 7-10 days into a virus than 3. This is considered "homeopathic" so I am going to look at the natural foods co-op next time I am there to see if I can find the same ingredient without having to get all the extra chemicals in it. I can't give you medical advise, but I know we are going to have some of these on hand for the next time a virus hits. I did miss church today, which was disappointing but I am still contagious and feeling physically weak. I didn't think anyone would appreciate me sharing this with them!

Please pray that my kiddos will stay healthy because I am leading Bible study on Wednesday and I have yet to get to my Thursday Bible study (secondary to migraine and A being sick earlier in the week). Also, please pray for my insomnia to take a hike! It is not good for my migraines but may also be caused by them. It's a vicious circle.

So, while I have been trying to rest, I have been knitting and reading about knitting and playing on Ravelry. If you are on there too, I am StitchesofGrace...visit me! Wow, I have found lots of free patterns on there and more ideas than I could probably ever knit up. One cool one I wanted to share with you is for duct feet from Vivyan (a blog I have never visited before, but she is a knitter and designer with free patterns). It is like making a body form for sewing with duct tape only it is for your feet. I think I will put my Mom and some other friends through this...would make long distance knitting for surprise, much easier! :o) It would also work well for my own socks and for hubby's feet too. Hmmm...where would I store all these "feet"?! LOL If you saw how small and packed in like sardines we are, you'd laugh at this one too!

I hope everyone else had a more exciting weekend than I did!

7 comments:

Debby said...

I suffer from migraines as well and I have found that a melatonin will help me get some sleep in spite of the pain. I don't know if you've heard of it. It's a natural herb and can be found in the health food store or health food section. It is non addictive. It does give weird dreams though. But both my husband and I use it if we can't sleep.

Carissa said...

The hat came out great, and matches the scarf well. I'm not a big hat person, but I should probably have at least one on hand! I pray that the kids stay healthy and that you feel better soon!

Lynette said...

Let me know if you need help with Wed. study.

sherriknits said...

I'm glad you're gettng better. what a pain.
This is weird, but my daughter gets migraines and tuna seems to help her....but maybe you already know that one.
I will pray for your sleep...big problem of mine, too.
Love your hat!
I love that you are getting an offer for help on your Wed. study, rest in that if you can't do it. It's tough but I am one who appreciates those who are sick staying home, amazing to me how many people don't consider others. I've been known to pack my kids up and go home if sick people are in the nursery.

Charlotte said...

Theresa for colds I also take something called Emergen-C. It really helps me, it is a lot like that Airborne but is effervescent. I used to get sick a lot, and this helps if I take it at the first sign of a cold-sometimes I avoid being sick. I get it at the food Co-op, Wal-mart, distributed by alacercorp they have a website with that name.

Donna B said...

We are emergen-C fans around here too...hope you lose that vicious migraine cycle. I get them sometimes and know it is no fun!

Your hat and scarf are bee-u-tiful colors! I have been enjoying all the FOs you posted on Ravelry....wow!

Deborah said...

I'm sorry you've been feeling poorly and am glad to hear you are doing better.

Could you hang the feet from the ceiling in the kid's room as some sort of funky, modern mobile?