Friday, February 23, 2007

Sacramento Weavers and Spinners Guild Show and Sale

I am still feeling like I'm being drug behind an 18 wheeler on the freeway, but I am on the downhill side of this virus and thought I would try to post a couple things in order to catch up.


On February 10th I went to the Sacramento Weavers and Spinners Guild Annual Show and Sale.
This year the theme was "Textile Traditions With Today's Twist." I thought they did a nice job with their displays and had many people demonstrating so you could try some things hands on.
I enjoyed looking at a lot of the weaving since that is not something I do or could do at this point in my life (space limitations), it is interesting to look at other peoples' art.

I loved this...different breeds of sheep wool all done on little Weavette looms and sewn together.

If you want to see anything more close up
I believe you can just click on the picture and it will enlarge.

I spent a good deal of time talking with Mel Silva who is an awesome Navajo weaver. He had me almost convinced to take a class with him. I am not so much interested in the Indian designs as I am in the hands on approach. I think my kids would like it.
This shows his home made loom and project in progress as well as some of the rest of his display behind him.
The skeins at the left were chemically dyed and the photo on the right with more earthy colors shows skeins all dyed with natural herbs, plants, roots etc.


There was a display/demonstration about cotton.
And another on flax/linen.


Naturally one of the funnest parts was the sale! I did buy some dyed merino/nylon superwash sock wool to spin. What I really wanted to buy was this...

Isn't it beautiful and it was REALLY soft! The lady's company is called Wild Flowers. Pretty.

When all was said and done God gave me a smile and a chuckle. A rainbow!
I took this for Jack as he loves to go to dollar stores and other places to get a good deal. I figured the rainbow over the 99 cent store was proof that God loves a good bargain too! LOL

2 comments:

Carissa said...

It looks like you had a great time! You always have such nice pictures! I look forward to seeing the sock yarn that you make!

Woven Spun said...

ooh everything looks so yummy and fun. I wish I had something like that near me. WAH...not fair.