Monday, September 26, 2005

Knitting Christmas!

Well, this weekend it felt like knitting Christmas for me! I think I may have mentioned in a previous post that I made a trade of my AS Fair Isle Without Fear video for A Gathering of Lace by Meg Swansen and money for Myrna Stahman's Shawls and Scarves book. Well, I got the money and ordered Myrna's book from Kirtland's Yarn Barn and the Swansen book is coming soon. Myrna Stahman's book came as well as the Fiddlesticks Knitting Creastures From the Reef shawl pattern! Lots of eye candy. I must say that I like almost every one of the shawls and scarves in the Stahman book. There are so many scarves I lost count and many beautiful shawls. So it really is worth the $30 especially when you consider that the Creatures of the Reef shawl pattern was $9.50 just for one. There is a lot of instruction and background as well. Unfortunately I have not had time to sit down and read through it. I do already have a mental list made of the shawls I want to make for people! It really felt good to wait so long for something I wanted and then be able to barter for it!

If that was not enough I did splurge a little money, but too much. Michael's had a 50% off coupon and I got myself The Knitting Experience 2: The Purl Stitch by Sally Melville. When I first came back to knitting and heard everyone talking about her books I was a little skeptical. I'm not a professional knitter but I do have quite a bit of experience and it sounded like a "beginner's book". But after checking out the Knit Stitch at the library I really liked it and was convinced otherwise. It is beginner, but also a reference and also has some classic patterns in it for both adults and kids.

Another thing I am doing is going through my stash today and finding yarn, needles, magazines and books to give to the Restash Network. Many knitters lost everything in the hurricanes. I know it's not as important as health, food, water and so on, but knitting does soothe the soul and I'm sure it is felt as a loss! Well, I'm off now to continue going through my stash and drool on my new books!

No comments: