Friday, March 02, 2007

Peacock Feathers Shawl

I mentioned yesterday that I am working on the Peacock Feathers Shawl for my Grandma Pfau. Pfau means peacock in German. I had in mind to do a shawl for her anyway, but this winter in a couple weeks time she lost her step-daughter Josie who she was very close to and her oldest son Dick. During this sam etime she also found out that one of her nephews had passed away. So I wanted to give her something to wrap up in and remind herself that she is loved. Grandma has a strong faith which sustains her, but grief is grief and it's never easy.

I'm sorry the picture isn't very good quality. I had a hard time capturing this and finally gave up on getting the color which is a heathered blue with bits of red in it which gives it a purpleish cast. The yarn I am using is Knit Picks Shadow in Jewels Heather. Because I want the shawl to be large enough I am doubling the yarn and using size six instead of size four needles. It's hard to tell from the photo...you know how lace is, a blob until it gets blocked...but I think it will be fine. It will not be quite as dainty and lacy as the original but it will be nice for its purpose. I am nearing the end of chart four but this pattern goes on for quite some time before doing the plumes at the end. Hopefully it won't get too boring. I'm finding it's an easy lace pattern to do because you can see in your knitting what should come next and you can watch the detail unfold before you. Hopefully that will help prevent errors since I am knitting while vegging with the kids as we recover from this yuck!

4 comments:

Caroline said...

Beautiful pattern and *gorgeous* color! I'm sure she'll love it.

Carissa said...

What a beautiful pattern! I've admired that shawl for quite a while. I may break down and buy it one day! I'm sure that Grandma Pfau will love it!

Danielle said...

The shawl is lovely. Where did you get the pattern?

Paula said...

What a beautiful pattern!
I am still frightened of knitting lace. I try every now and again then get frustrated and rip it all apart.
I love learning that Pfau means peacock in German! I have a German friend that loves peacocks and now I have to tell her about your shawl.

I had fun catching up on your blog today and my prayers are with you in your trials.
I also really like the new knitting tools you got.
I keep meaning to learn to spin and thought a drop spindle would be a good idea to practice on.
LOL I need to get a new nostepinne too! I have been using an old mini rolling pin to wind center pull balls. LOL and I use an old large wooden egg to darn socks! LOL! :)