Friday, March 16, 2007

In The Garden...A Tribute To Dale

I remember Dale telling us one time that she wanted to do a trans-Florida trip some day, starting off on the east coast with a sunrise and driving through the day and stopping in the evening on the west coast for a sunset! Wouldn't that be fun. Now she is in the company of the Risen Son who never sets.
She loved gardens. I never saw a picture of hers but I could see it in my mind when she wrote about it. I especially liked when she shared about her butterflies because butterflies are a symbol to me of how God has transformed my life. Dale had hoped that her bone marrow transplant would help her metamorphosize into a healthy body, instead she is now in a Heavenly Garden. There must be a garden in Heaven because He took such great care in creating the Garden of Eden. If there is a garden in Heaven, Dale is there, in the garden with the Lord and with the Saints who have gone on before her.
After the transplant she could not have flowers and plants because of the microorganisms they carry along with them. I remember her excitement at the thought of having them again one day and eating fresh fruits and vegetables without worrying what her earthly body would do! Today she has no worries about her body because she has been healed and made Whole. She can smell and touch the flowers and fruit. Likely she had to leave her knitting behind, but I'm sure she hasn't given it a second thought with all that she has to absorb there.
Dale is a member of our Christian Artisans group.
She did do a little spinning but was mainly a knitter. I remember she did some beautiful entrelac socks and I think she sold some of her hats and socks on eBay. When she found out that she was getting marrow donated from a young woman she knit a shawl from Margaret's beautiful yarn. That was like Dale, always giving of herself to others. In her comments and prayer requests she was always more concerned about how her condition affected other people than herself. She was concerned for her hubby Chris and the effect this process had on him, having already lost his first wife to cancer. And she loved her kids and prayed for them. I still remember how excited she was the day that she found out that her new little granddaughter would be given Dale for her middle name! She was so thrilled with that! That little girl has the name of an awesome, godly woman. And when my Uncle Dick was dying of Leukemia just two months ago, she comforted me with her caring and knowledge of blood diseases. Dale was gentle, kind, honest, humorous, creative and beautiful in everyway!

The other pictures have been for Dale. This picture is for those of us who are left behind, who have used up our Kleenex boxes this afternoon in our grief. We know that Dale now rejoices in the presence of Jesus, but we who have been left behind miss her presence in our lives. Even though I have never met Dale in person, she was very much a special part of my life. And many of you probably know that the Internet connects us in surprising ways. I rejoice in her homecoming and I weep for her family and for our list family. If you want to know about Dale you can read about her journey here as well as information on being a bone marrow donor. If you feel led to save a life, follow the links to find out how to become a donor.

The picture is because Cary reminded me today of one of my favorite hymns. It was written by a shipwreck survivor who had lost his little daughters at sea and yet because he was a child of God, he knew in all circumstances and under all sorrows it was still well with his soul because he belonged to the King:

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,When sorrows like sea billows roll;Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,It is well, it is well, with my soul.


Refrain
It is well, with my soul,It is well, with my soul,It is well, it is well, with my soul.


Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,Let this blest assurance control,That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,And hath shed His own blood for my soul.


Refrain


My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!My sin, not in part but the whole,Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!


Refrain


For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:If Jordan above me shall roll,No pang shall be mine, for in death as in lifeThou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.


Refrain


But, Lord, ‘tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,The sky, not the grave, is our goal;Oh trump of the angel! Oh voice of the Lord!Blessèd hope, blessèd rest of my soul!


Refrain


And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,Even so, it is well with my soul.


Refrain

5 comments:

Carissa said...

What a beautiful tribute, Theresa. Thank you.

Eric said...

Ditto - that was a wonderful tribute - I wish I had known her - but I guess I WILL know get to know her someday.
Eric O

Lynette said...

Lovely tribute.

It is Well with My Soul is my favorite song also.

Good to see you today!

Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

Theresa, thank you for the photos...another reminder of God's love and goodness to us in all of this beauty of His creation! But most of all your words, dear Sister, echoed my heart exactly! Thank you for sharing your heart.

Sending big prayer hugs, Cary

Holly said...

A wonderful post, Theresa. Yes, Dale will be missed on the list-but how wonderful to be in HEAVEN!