Sunday, January 08, 2006

Secret Pal 7 Questionnaire

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? I do prefer natural fibers but have occasionally used man made for certain projects like baby items. I do not use Red Heart at all but might consider Lion Brand depending on the project. I do not like Boucle textured yarns. I made a child's poncho out of boucle and was I glad when it was done! While I am a yarn snob, I would never look down on someone who uses these yarns or who would gift these yarns if they were not able to do something differently.

2. Do you spin? Crochet? I am re-learning how to spin (didn't do it for ten years, now starting up again) on my Ashford Traditional. I know how to crochet but generally don't because there is not enough time in the day to knit! LOL

3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I love to sew and have been making some needle rolls, experimenting with different designs.

4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? Advanced Intermediate

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) Unfortunately I can't do scents and skin products or even unscented candles due to asthma problems and allergies.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? I do but I'm trying to tame it! LOL Caramels and toffees are my favorite and chocolate in combination is good. I'm trying to learn to eat healthier though...an occasional treat never hurt anyone though! :o)

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? I sew, am learning quilting, scrapbooking/genealogy and spinning.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) Yes my stereo/computer play MP3s. I like contemporary Christian music, classical, 80s rock (what can I say?!) and country.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand? I am a "winter". My favorite color is purple but I also love blues, burgandies, magentas, pinks and cool tone greens. I dislike orange!

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I am married and have a 4 yo son and 2.5 yo twin daughters. We have a gray tabby named Abbie!

12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Scarves, hats and mittens, yes...ponchos for myself, no.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? I love hand dyed/painted or other pretty color ways. Definitely hands down, natural fibers are my favorites.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? Acrylics that feel tough and scratchy. Boucles, as mentioned above.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s? Lace, but I also love to knit anything traditional, Fair Isle, Norwegian/Scandinavian, Arans.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Shawls, Sweaters, Scarves

17. What are you knitting right now? Creatures of the Reef Shawl from Fiddlesticks, the Irish Hiking Scarf from HelloYarn.com and a worsted weight Fair Isle design using Philospher's Wool Company yarn and pattern.

18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Circular for large projects and I do use straights for smaller ones, depends on project.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? Addi turbos are my favorite, then bamboo for circs and straights and Brittany wood for dpn.

21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Yes but one day I would like to own a wooden swift.

22. How did you learn to knit? My Grandmother taught me when I was 5 and Elizabeth Zimmerman tapes and books got me hooked back on it in 1990.

23. How old is your oldest UFO? About twelve years, mostly because I changed size!

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird? No favorite animated character, I like killer whales, sheep and cats.

25. What is your favorite holiday? Thanksgiving.

26. Is there anything that you collect? books! LOL

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? None at the moment, but have been considering Spin Off and InKnitters.

28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? The peacock shawl shawl from Fiddlesticks and I'm considering doing the Crossed in Translation Aran from Japan but the books is pricey so I'm thinking about getting Bauerliches Stricken which has charts for crossed cables and designing my own similar in style.

29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? Spinning with a hand spindle.

30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? Yes, but have not recently knit for my big feet, size 10ww, so I have not measured them.

31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) June 19th

Thank you for reading this far. I hope I have not been too picky and that you have fun in this exchange! I can't wait to get my Secret Pal too!

No comments: