Sunday, January 29, 2006

Knitting Content, What's That?

You really didn't expect me to post knitting did you? Actually I have been busy knitting. I have the Creatures of the Reef shawl 75% done and I am getting worried that it is going to be too small...it better block out bigger! No, I did not do a swatch. I always knit looser and was not worried if it would be too big, but I am using Knit Pick's Dye Your Own lace weight and it is probably just a little finer than the recommended Zephyr wool/sillk. So I did do this to myself! Acknowledging that does not keep me from having anxiety. This shawl was being knit on a schedule to be sent out through my shawl ministry for someone very, very special and it will be super disappointing if it is too small. The colors and all were chosen specifically for her and so it will be difficult to find someone else this shawl will work for. But, I'm going to plug along and keep knitting and block it and see...you never know until the blocking is done! I have a few finished objects, as I mentioned before but need to weave in ends and block them.

So, what's with the picture?! Well, that was taken about 10-12 years ago near where I used to live. That's the peak of Mt Shuksan, near Mt Baker in Washington State. This was a GLORIOUS hike I took with my best friend Shelley. I have been missing her so much lately and homesick for her. Cleaning off things on the desk and computer today, I ran across this photo. It's one she took. I put it up for inspiration for me...both in remembering the wonderful times Shelley and I shared as SPICEs (Single People living In Christ's Example), but also to remind me of how much I enjoyed a lot of physical activity like hiking! I am on a health journey and am seeking to lose all 80 pounds I've gained since this picture plus some more!! (I have lost 10# and have 190 more to go! But, like my Christian Artisan's friend Deborah says, "That's 19 more sucesses" and I have to think of it that way, less intimidating that losing a whole person off of you!) Even though I was overweight in that photo, I was pretty healthy and strong and did a lot of hiking. I forget how much I miss that until I look at all the incredible photos taken on those trips!

Shelley...Maybe next summer we can hike??!!

2 comments:

Amy said...

T - you are such an inspiration to me and others! I'm praying for you on your healthy journey and hoping you can do the same for me! I didn't know you were participating in a shawl ministry - I mean, I know you have made shawls to minister to your friends and family, but not officially! Not everyone can knit like that - I've tried and decided to wait on lace a bit! ;)
Love the picture - if Shelly's not available - I'll go!! :)

Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

Theresa, I loved ALL of your January posts here at the blog! You have such a wonderful and creative way with words, it is like sitting down with coffe (and Maple Bars - LOL) and sharing a visit! Hugs