Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Wellness Wednesday #26


Good morning Everyone! I am pleased to report that the scale actually budged for a change! :o) My weight went down 1# to 314#. Every pound makes a difference and I'm thankful. In spite of the increased pain with physical therapy for my hip bursitis and tight ilial-tibial band, I have been more mobile and I think that helps. During school time, the kids and I have had a break to stretch and get the wiggles out and they do my PT exercises with me. But I am really looking forward to my PT appt and especially the ultrasound treatment this afternoon which gives it some relief. Hopefully walking will start up soon! I have been okayed to walk as long as I stop when it hurts, but that does not get me far! LOL
Look at the busy bees above. The photo was taken by my friend Shelley who is starting with her first hive this spring. I have no desire to do it myself but am interested in her adventure and love raw honey. I would love to hear from any of you who have hives or who have learned about honey and any recommendations on websites. So far I have learned:
1. Always eat RAW honey with minimal processing. Heating and other processes done to store honey kill the enzymes and nutrients. Also be aware of your product and where it comes from. Deborah just informed me that some places cut their honey with corn syrup! UGH! (Please note: Honey can contain a type of botulism that infants cannot fight off, but does not harm adults. Children under the age of 12 months should not eat honey even if it is cooked into things like graham crackers and cookies!)
2. Raw honey is about 85% sugar, the other 15% is water and other nutrients. It has less sugar than sugar and is sweeter than sugar. When substituting in a recipe you can use about 1/2 the amount or sometimes even less.
3. Honey comes in a range of flavors depending on where and upon what the bees have been feasting. Usually, the darker honey has more nutrients, but this may vary. Not all honey is really sweet. Some have smoky, woody and herby flavors.
4. Raw honey has some anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties. My friend Margaret told me that it can be used on brown recluse spider bites! Honey has long been used as a soothing agent for sore throats. Eating raw honey local to you, may work like "antigen" in combatting plant allergies.
Sacramento Beekeeping (where I buy my honey)
Blessed Bee (Shelley, you need to post about your adventure!)

1 comment:

Wool Winder said...

Congrats on l lb lost. Did you know honey never spoils?